Medicare Part D – Prescription Drug Coverage
Medicare Part D is also referred to as a Prescription Drug Plan for Medicare eligible recipients. It is an optional government program to help Medicare eligible beneficiaries pay for self-administered drugs.
When choosing to work with a Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan it is important to understand these few items:
- New Medigap (Medicare Supplement Plans) cannot be sold with prescription drug coverage, however, if your current plan has it, you can keep it. You can also join a separate Medicare Part D plan and your existing Medigap policy will adjust your premiums.
- Medicare Prescription Drug coverage is optional. If you choose to not get it, you may have to pay more when you do take it as a late enrollment penalty.
- If you have a Medicare Advantage Plan (Part C) you may already have prescription drug coverage.
- Part D may be accompanied by higher premiums if you have a high income.
Are There Other Options For Prescription Drug Coverage?
There are many different ways that you may be eligible for prescription drug coverage. Prescription drug coverage may be provided by:
- Employer or Union
- The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
- Indian Health Service
- Medigap Policy
Be sure to check for all options before you commit to a plan and take advantage of your existing benefits to eliminate overlaps in benefits as well as be sure the plan you get covers the prescription drugs you need. For a list of prescription drugs currently covered under Part D, visit the Medicare.gov website.
Does Part D Work With Other Insurance Plans?
Yes, Part D can work in conjunction with many other types of health insurance plans including Employer, Medicaid and many others. Learn more about this by talking to an agent in our office.
Do You Have Other Questions About Medicare Part D Plans?
Do you need help navigating your Medicare and understanding the Medicare options available to you? We’re here to help. Our agency has dedicated ourselves to helping Medicare eligible customers understand their Medicare Insurance and helping you find a supplement plan that works for your situation and budget. Please give us a call.